Wednesday, May 15, 2024

231 Crown Prince

A10.8

In the first month of the year, officials from relevant departments suggested, "Appointing a crown prince early will honor the ancestral temple. Please appoint a crown prince." Emperor Wen said, "My virtue is shallow. The gods have not yet enjoyed the sacrifices, and the people of the world are not satisfied. Now even if I cannot find a wise, sage, and virtuous person in the world to abdicate the throne to him, I say that I want to appoint a crown prince in advance. This will make my virtue even shallower. How can I tell the people of the world? Let's put this matter aside for the time being." The official said, "Appointing a crown prince in advance is to honor the ancestral temple and the country, and to show that we have not forgotten the people of the world." Emperor Wen said, "The King of Chu is my uncle. He is old and understands many principles of the world and understands the general situation of the country. The King of Wu is my elder brother. He is kind and benevolent and likes morality. The King of Huainan is my younger brother. He upholds morality to assist me. Aren't they the heirs established in advance? The princes, brothers of the royal family, and meritorious ministers are many wise and virtuous people. If I recommend virtuous people to assist me in completing my unfinished business, it will be a good thing for the country and a blessing for the world. . If I do not recommend them now, but insist on appointing my own son, people will think that I have forgotten the virtuous and only care about my own son. I think this is not a way to share the worries of the people of the world. I think this is not advisable. "The officials all resolutely requested, "In ancient times, the Shang and Zhou dynasties established their countries and maintained peace for more than a thousand years. In ancient times, no dynasty that won the world lasted longer than this, because the emperors of these two dynasties must have chosen their own sons as their successors. This is a long-standing tradition. Emperor Gao personally led the civil officials and military generals, and as soon as he pacified the world, he established the vassal states and became the Taizu of the emperors of this dynasty. The vassal kings and marquises who first accepted the fiefdoms were also the ancestors of each country. The descendants inherit the throne and it will not be cut off from generation to generation. This is the great justice of the world, so Emperor Gao established this system to stabilize the people's hearts. Now abandoning what should be followed and selecting other vassal and royal family members is not Emperor Gao's original intention. It is not appropriate to discuss it further. Prince Liu Qi is the oldest and pure and kind, so I request to make him the crown prince. "Emperor Wen agreed. Therefore, he rewarded all the common people in the world who were destined to be fathers and heirs by promoting their titles one level higher. He conferred the title of Marquis of Chen on General Bo Zhao.

正月,有司言曰:“蚤建太子,所以尊宗庙。请立太子。”上曰:“朕既不德,上帝神明未歆享,天下人民未有嗛志。今纵不能博求天下贤圣有德之人而禅天下焉,而曰豫建太子,是重吾不德也。谓天下何?其安之。”有司曰:“豫建太子,所以重宗庙社稷,不忘天下也。”上曰:“楚王,季父也,春秋高,阅天下之义理多矣,明于国家之大体。吴王于朕,兄也,惠仁以好德。淮南王,弟也,秉德以陪朕。岂为不豫哉!诸侯王宗室昆弟有功臣,多贤及有德义者,若举有德以陪朕之不能终,是社稷之灵,天下之福也。今不选举焉,而曰必子,人其以朕为忘贤有德者而专于子,非所以忧天下也。朕甚不取也。”有司皆固请曰:“古者殷周有国,治安皆千余岁,古之有天下者莫长焉,用此道也。立嗣必子,所从来远矣。高帝亲率士大夫,始平天下,建诸侯,为帝者太祖。诸侯王及列侯始受国者皆亦为其国祖。子孙继嗣,世世弗绝,天下之大义也,故高帝设之以抚海内。今释宜建而更选于诸侯及宗室,非高帝之志也。更议不宜。子某最长,纯厚慈仁,请建以为太子。”上乃许之。因赐天下民当代父后者爵各一级。封将军薄昭为轵侯。

No comments:

Post a Comment