Wednesday, March 20, 2024

40 The Warlike King of Yin


A3.7

At that time, Xia Jie was tyrannical and promiscuous, and one of the princes Kunwu rebelled. So Tang, leading an army with the princes, and with Yiyin by his side, holding a halberd personally, conquered Kunwu first, and then conquered Jie. Tang said: “Come, you multitudes of people, you all come to listen to my words. It is not just me, a little kid, who dare to rebel. The ruler of Xia committed many crimes, and I heard you all have been saying that Xia is guilty. I have my ultimate reverence for the Supreme Emperor, I do not dare not to do the right thing. Now, as the Xia ruler has committed many crimes, by the power of Heaven, that Xia’s fate is ending today. Now you people are in the multitudes, all saying: 'Our king did not care about us at all, he abandoned our farming and implemented tyranny.' And you say, 'As to his crimes, what remedy have we?' The king of Xia did nothing but exhaust his people's strength, and exploited them oppressively. His people all became careless, and not in harmony with him, saying, 'When will this day be over? We would rather all perish together.' The decline of Xia had come to this, I got no choice but to go on with the conquest. If you help me, one man by himself, to carry out the punishment decreed by Heaven, and I will reward you greatly. Trust me on this, my words is my bond. If you do not follow my oath, I will have punishment waiting for you, no exception!” And this being announced to the army, Tang’s Oath was written. Tang then said, “I am very warlike”, and this was how he was titled, Wuwang (武王), The Warlike king.


当是时,夏桀为虐政淫荒,而诸侯昆吾氏为乱。汤乃兴师率诸侯,伊尹从汤,汤自把钺以伐昆吾,遂伐桀。汤曰:“格女众庶,来,女悉听朕言。匪台小子敢行举乱,有夏多罪,予维闻女众言,夏氏有罪。予畏上帝,不敢不正。今夏多罪,天命殛之。今女有众,女曰‘我君不恤我众,舍我啬事而割政’。女其曰‘有罪,其柰何’?夏王率止众力,率夺夏国。有众率怠不和,曰‘是日何时丧?予与女皆亡’!夏德若兹,今朕必往。尔尚及予一人致天之罚,予其大理女。女毋不信,朕不食言。女不从誓言,予则帑僇女,无有攸赦。”以告令师,作汤誓。于是汤曰“吾甚武”,号曰武王。


No comments:

Post a Comment