Sunday, April 28, 2024

156 Zhao Gao’s Advice

A6.51|52

After arriving in Liaodong, the Second Emperor returned to the capital.

At this time, the Second Emperor adopted Zhao Gao's advice and announced the decree. He privately planned with Zhao Gao and said, "The ministers are disobedient, the power of the officials is still very strong, and the princes will compete with me for the throne. What should I do?" Zhao Gao said, "I wanted to say it but didn't dare to. The ministers of the previous emperor were all prestigious dignitaries who had been famous for generations. They had created meritorious deeds and passed them down from generation to generation for a long time. Now I have always been of humble status. It is because of Your Majesty's trust and promotion that I have been in a high position and can be in charge of the affairs of the palace. The ministers are very dissatisfied in their hearts. They are very obedient to me on the surface, but they are not convinced in their hearts. Now that your majesty is away, it is better to take this opportunity to investigate the county magistrates. If they are guilty, execute them. Your Majesty can use his prestige to intimidate the world, and on the other hand, also eliminate those whom you are dissatisfied with in your life. In today's era, we don’t have to be civil when using military means. I hope Your Majesty can adapt to the times and not hesitate, and take action before the ministers have time to plan. A wise monarch can adopt the survivors, make the humble noble, make the poor rich, and make the distant people submit, so that there will be harmony between the upper and lower levels, and the country will be stable. "The Second Emperor said: "Very good." So he had many ministers and princes killed and even implicated the guards around the emperor. No one was spared, and six sons of the First Emperors were executed in Du County. Prince Jiang Lu and two other brothers were imprisoned in the inner palace and finally deliberated their crimes separately. The Second Emperor sent an executor to Jiang Lu and said, 
“Prince, your behavior does not reflect your position as a royal servant, you deserve the punishment of death, I am here to make sure of it.” Jiang Lu said, "I have never dared to disobey the command of the court ceremonies; I have never dared to disobey the etiquette in the court; I have never dared to make mistakes accepting orders or responding to inquiries. What do you mean that I am not a loyal servant of his Majesty? I hope I will know the crime I have committed before I die." The envoy said, "I did not participate in the decision-making, I just followed the imperial edict." Jiang Lu then looked up to the sky and shouted three times, saying, "Oh, Old Heaven! I am innocent!" The three brothers all drew their swords and committed suicide with tears. All the children of the royal family were very shocked and scared. The ministers who gave advice would be considered slander, so the ministers took their salaries to seek a place to live, and all the people were in fear. 

遂至辽东而还。

于是二世乃遵用赵高,申法令。乃阴与赵高谋曰:“大臣不服,官吏尚强,及诸公子必与我争,为之柰何?”高曰:“臣固愿言而未敢也。先帝之大臣,皆天下累世名贵人也,积功劳世以相传久矣。今高素小贱,陛下幸称举,令在上位,管中事。大臣鞅鞅,特以貌从臣,其心实不服。今上出,不因此时案郡县守尉有罪者诛之,上以振威天下,下以除去上生平所不可者。今时不师文而决于武力,愿陛下遂从时毋疑,即群臣不及谋。明主收举余民,贱者贵之,贫者富之,远者近之,则上下集而国安矣。”二世曰:“善。”乃行诛大臣及诸公子,以罪过连逮少近官三郎,无得立者,而六公子戮死于杜。公子将闾昆弟三人囚于内宫,议其罪独后。二世使使令将闾曰:“公子不臣,罪当死,吏致法焉。”将闾曰:“阙廷之礼,吾未尝敢不从宾赞也;廊庙之位,吾未尝敢失节也;受命应对,吾未尝敢失辞也。何谓不臣?愿闻罪而死。”使者曰:“臣不得与谋,奉书从事。”将闾乃仰天大呼天者三,曰:“天乎!吾无罪!”昆弟三人皆流涕拔剑自杀。宗室振恐。群臣谏者以为诽谤,大吏持禄取容,黔首振恐。

No comments:

Post a Comment